Ingredients – serves 4 as part of a shared Asian banquet
- 200 g Chinese cabbage
- 1-2 carrots
- 8 large cherry tomatoes
- 8 cooked king prawns, peeled, deveined, tails intact
- 1/2 cup raw peanuts, roasted, lightly crushed
- 1 cup Asian herb leaves ( Thai basil, coriander and mint)
Ingredients for Nuoc cham dressing:
- 4 long red chillies
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) lime juice (about 3 fresh limes)
- 3/4 cup (185 ml) fish sauce
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) rice vinegar
- Finely chopped green or red small chillies, to taste!!
To prepare Nuoc Cham dressing
- Split the long red chillies, remove and discard seeds, then slice.
- Pound the garlic with a pinch of salt using a large mortar and pestle.
- Add the sliced red chillies and continue to pound the mixture to a fine paste. (Alternatively, pulse garlic and chilli briefly in a food processor to finely chop)
Make the dressing:
- Add caster sugar and stir to blend. Squeeze in the lime juice, then slowly stir in the fish sauce, rice wine vinegar and 1 cup (250 ml) water until completely incorporated.
- Add chopped chillies to taste.
Assemble the salad:
- Finely slice the cabbage leaves and place in a mixing bowl
- Peel the carrots and cut into thin match sticks.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes, then add to the bowl with the carrots, prawns, peanuts and mixed herbs.
Toss the salad:
- Add enough of the Nuoc cham dressing to generously coat the salad (leftover dressing will keep for 2-3 days in the fridge). Toss well to combine, then divide among serving plates