Preparation time approximately 45 minutes – serves 4 people
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 350 g Acquerello carnaroli rice. If Acquerello rice is not available you can use arborio risotto rice
- 4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1-2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons saffron threads
- 800 ml meat stock, hot
- 50 g bacon, diced
- clarified butter for frying
- 400 d veal, in small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt. a little pepper
- Heat butter in a pan
- sweat slowly the onion and garlic
- Add risotto rice, cook gently, stirring all the time, until translucent
- Add the saffron, and stir in gradually the 800 ml of meat stock, keeping the rice just covered by the liquid.
- Simmer for approximately 25 minutes, until the rice is creamy and al dente.
- Fry the bacon slowly in a frying pan until crispy, drain on kitchen paper. Wipe pan with kitchen paper.
- Heat the clarified butter in the same pan and fry the veal in batches for approximately 3 minutes & remove.
- Season the veal with salt & pepper and stir into the risotto together with the diced bacon, and serve immediately.
Per person: 11 g fat, 32 g protein, 74 g carbohydrate, 526 calories – recipe & photo from The Swiss Cookbook by Betty Bossi