Soaking time approximately 12 hours – Preparation time 1 hour – baking time 2.75 hours. Serves 4
Springform cake tin, approximately 24 cms round, base lined with baking parchment, sides greased and floured
- 250 g wheatmeal or white bread, old, without crust, cubed
- 100 g soft Amaretti, crumbled
- 1 litre milk
- 1 vanilla pod, slit lengthways, seeds scraped out
- 250 g golden sultanas
- 100 g candied orange peel, diced
- 2 tablespoons of Grappa
- 100 g flaked almonds
- 75 g dark chocolate
- i unwaxed lemon, zest only
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 75 g sugar
- 50 g pine nuts
- a little icing sugar
- Put bread and Amaretti in a bowl
- Bring to boil in a pan the milk and vanilla pod for approximately 2 minutes, stirring continuously. Pour into bowl with bread and Amaretti, cover and leave for approximately 12 hours.
- Remove vanilla pod from bowl, then mash bread mixture with a fork.
- Mix sultanas, candied orange peel and Grappa, then cover and leave to soak for approximately 12 hours. Then add soaked sultana, candied orange peel & Grappa mix to bread mixture.
- Add to bread mixture flaked almonds and grated dark chocolate. Then mix in zest of lemon, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Whisk with hand mixer 3 eggs and 75 g of sugar to a thick foam, fold into bread mixture and tip into prepared cake tin
- Arrange 50 g pine nuts on top
- BAKE for approximately 2.75 hours towards the bottom of the oven preheated to 150 C.
- Remove, cool slightly, release edges, slide onto wire rack and leave to cool
- Add a little icing sugar to dust the cake
Keeping time: foil wrapped, will keep in refrigerator for approximately 1 week
Per 1/8 slice: 23 g fat, 16 g protein, 73 carbohydrate, 561 calories – recipe & photo from The Swiss Cookbook by Betty Bossi