Preparation time approximately 30 minutes – Toasting/baking time approximately 25 minutes – quantities for a 2 litre shallow baking dish, greased. Serves 4
- 350 g white bread, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, soft
- 100 ml dry white wine, preferably Chasselas
- 300 ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 150 g semi-hard cheese finely grated
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, a little pepper
- 200 ml double cream, stiffly beaten
- Lay sliced white bread on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment
- Spread butter on bread
- Toast bread for approximately 5 minutes in middle of oven pre-heated to 240 C.
- Remove toast from oven, reduce heat to 200 C.
- Arrange bread in layers in the prepared baking dish, overlapping slices slightly
- Pour over 100 ml of Chasselas or dry white wine
- To make cheese mixture, mix in a measuring jug the milk, eggs, cheese, salt & pepper.
- Stiffly beat 200 ml of double cream and fold into the cheese mixture in the measuring jug.
- Pour the cheese mixture with folded in double cream over the toasted slices.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes in the middlle of a preheated oven to 200 C
- Bread can be toasted unbuttered in a toaster
- ideal way to use up stale bread!
Per person: 41 g fat, 27 g protein, 52 g carbohydrate, 701 calories – recipe & photo from The Swiss Cookbook by Betty Bossi