Preparation time approximately 40 minutes, Baking time approximately 20 minutes
Serves 4 with 4 ovenproof soup bowls, capacity approximately 250 ml
Ingredients for wine soup:
- 400 ml meat stock
- 300 ml white wine – for an authentic Swiss recipe use Chasselas
- 1 carrot, diced
- 100 g leeks, thinly sliced
- 100 ml single cream
- 2 fresh egg yolks
- a pinch of Paprika
- 1/2 bunch chives, chopped
- 1 sheet of puff pastry rolled out to approximately 25 x 42 cms
- 1 egg yolk beaten
- Bring meat stock to boil in a pan, reduce heat, simmer for approximately 5 minutes
- add carrot and leaks to pan, simmer for approximately 10 minutes. Remove pan fro heat
- Blend, whisk gradually 100 ml single cream and 2 fresh egg yolks into the soup, bring to just under the boil, remove from heat.
- Season the soup with paprika and salt & pepper, divide between soup bowls, cool for approximately 10 minutes.
- Scatter chives over the soup in each bowl.
- Cut the sheet of puff pastry into quarters
- Brush rim of soup bowls with beaten egg. Cover the pastry, pressing firmly over rim of soup bowl to seal. Brush remaining off yolk over pastry.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes towards the bottom of the oven preheated to 220 C. Reduce heat to 180 C, continue baking for approximately 10 minutes.
Per person: 31 g fat, 8 g protein, 35 g carbohydrate, 483 calories – recipe & photo from The Swiss Cookbook by Betty Bossi