Preparation time approximately 50 minutes – Serves 2-3 as a main course, or 4 as a side dish
- 1 kg waxy potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Clarified butter
- Boil potatoes in their skins the previous day, then peeled…..
- Grate coarsely into a bowl
- Season with salt
- Heat clarified butter heat in a frying pan.
- Add potatoes, cook for approximately 5 minus, turning occasionally.
- Press into a flatfish cake shape with a fish slice or spatula, then leave to cook undisturbed over medium heat for approximately 15 minutes.
- Lay a flat plate upside down over the frying pan and flip the rosti over onto the plate.
- Add a little more clarified butter to the pan and slide the rosti back in. Finish cooking the underside for approximately 15 minutes.
- Slowly sweat 1 onion, chopped or sliced into thin strips, in the butter, before adding potatoes and cooking as above.
- Fry 100 g diced bacon until crispy, before adding potatoes and cooking as above
- Top rosti with fried eggs… this is delicious!!
Per Person: 2 g fat, 5 g protein, 43 g carbohydrates, 208 calories – recipe & photo from The Swiss Cookbook by Betty Bossi