Braised Peppers & Olives
- 2 red peppers and 2 yellow peppers
- Sat and cayenne pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 50 ml red wine vinegar
- 50 g anchovies
- 16 black olives, stoned
- 1 small bunch fresh flat leaf parsley, leaves picked up from the stalks
- Preheat your oven to 190 C
- Cut each pepper in half lengthways, remove the seeds and cut them in half again.
- Lay peppers side up on a roasting tray, and season well
- Press the garlic cloves lightly but do not crush them, and add to the peppers in the tray.
- Pour over olive oil and vinegar, cover the tray with foil, and pu in the oven.
- Briase the peppers for 45 minutes until they are completely soft. Lift off the foil and transfer them to a bowl. Cover the bowl with clingfilm and leave for approximately 15 minutes.
- Next skin the [e[[ers, but if any of the skins are really stubborn son’t worry too much. Just leave them, or you will end up with no peppers!!
- To finish the vinaigrette, remove the whole garlic cloves from the tray, and crush in a bowl. Whisking in the cooking juices, and season well with salt and cayenne pepper. Pour this over the roasted peppers and serve with the anchovies, olives and flat leave parsley.
- The olives and anchovies add a bit of bite and are a very traditional accompaniment. You could also serve these with fresh mozzarella or goats’ cheese and basil
Recipe by Alex MacKay and photos by Peter Knab