Grilled prawns with tomato & basil butter
- 12 large raw tiger prawns, shells on
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 strips dried orange zest, crushed
- Salt and cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon tomato concentrate
- 2 very ripe Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh basil, leaves picked from the stalks, chopped
- 100 g unsalted butter, softened
- Preheat your grill to high
- Split the tiger prawns down the centre of their backs, remove the intestinal cord and discard. If any have coral, spoon out and reserve it for the butter. Lay them out, cut flesh side up, on a tray that will fit under your grill.
- Mix the garlic and orange zest with a little salt, add the tomato concentrate, tomatoes, basil and butter. Add as much spice as you like with cayenne pepper and smear over the prawns.
- Grill them for 6-8 minutes. Check that they are ready by lifting up the thickest part of the prawn near the head: it should be pinkish white and no longer transparent.
- Serve hot as possible and make sure there are plenty of finger bowls and napkins
Recipe by Alex MacKay and photo by Peter Knap