Makes 9 buns
- 2 cups all purpose flour – (extra for rolling dough out)
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (extra for greasing the baking dish)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (this will be melted)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- In a small saucepan set over low heat on the stove, combine milk and butter. Cook just until the butter is melted (not boiling).
- Add the milk mixture to the flour and using a spatula mix just until combined.
- Flour your work surface then turn out the dough and knead it for 1 minute until the dough comes together in a smooth ball. If the dough feels overly sticky, add more flour as needed but do not over knead the dough.
- Cover the dough loosely with a damp cloth and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the over to 180°c and grease a +-20cm baking dish with butter.
- Lightly flour your work surface then roll out your dough into 10 x 14″ (+- 25 x 35cm) rectangle.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Brush the rolled out dough all over with the melted butter then sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on top.
- Beginning at the top end, tightly roll the dough up into a log. Trim off the edges then slice the log into 9 rolls.
- Arrange the rolls into greased baking dish (allow room for growth)
- Bake the rolls for 25 to 30 minutes until they are pale golden and baked through.
- Top with your choice of cream cheese frosting, chocolate ganache or caramel sauce and add nuts if desired.
Recipe by Gaby Ballotto