Preparation time approximately 1 hour, Standard time approximately 30 minutes, Baking time approximately 15 minutes in a wide 2 litre ovenproof dish, greased
Ingredients for omlettes:
- 150 g plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 300 ml milk
- 3 fresh eggs
- oil for frying
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 200 g Appenzell cheese
Ingredients for sauce:
- 200 ml double cream
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, a little pepper
- Sift plan flour with salt into a bowl, make a well in the centre
- Whisk 300 ml milk and 3 fresh eggs. Pour a little at a time into the well, whisking with each addition, and continue whisking until the batter is smooth.
- Leave to stand at room temperature for approximately 30 minutes
- Heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan. Pour enough batter into the pan to thinly cover the base, reduce heat. When the underside is cooked and comes away from the base, turn the pancake over and cook the other side ( makes 8 pancakes)
- Spread one eighth of the tomato mixture on one side of the pancake.
- Coarsely grate 80 g into a bowl of the Appenzell cheese and set aside. Cut the remaining cheese into 8 thin slices, cover the tomato mixture with a slice of cheese, fold pancake over.
- Lay pancakes, overlapping, in the greased baking dish and scatter grated cheese over
- Mix the double cream, parsley, chives, salt and pepper to make the sauce. Pour the sauce over the pancakes.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes in the middle of the oven preheated to 220 C
Per person: 41 g fat, 26 g protein, 35 g carbohydrate, 617 calories – recipe & photo from The Swiss Cookbook by Betty Bossi