Makes a 26 cm tart to serve 8
- 1 x 26 cm Sweet pastry case, beaten egg, for egg wash
For the Filling:
- Grated zest of 5 Amalfi lemons
- 150 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 300 g caster sugar
- 300 g unsalted buter, chilled
- 6 whole organic eggs
- 9 organic egg yolks
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Line the tart case with baking parchment and fill it with baking beans. Blind bake for 15 minutes until golden in colour
- Remove the paper and baking beans, then return the tart case to the oven to bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Brush all over the inside of the case with egg wash to seal. Bake for another 5 minutes, then set aside
- Preheat the grill to high. For the filling, combine the lemon zest and juice, sugar and butter in a heavy based saucepan and heat gently until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved.
- Whisk the eggs and yolks together in a bowl, then add to the saucepan.
- Stor over a medium heat until the custard mixture thickens (make sure it doesn’t boil or the eggs will curdle) Still stirring, pour the filling into the tart case.
- Place the tart under the grill and cook until the black patches appear on the surface of the filling. Leave to cool and set before serving
Recipe by Theo Randall and photo by Martin Poole